Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Whole Food Recipes

So in an effort to eliminate a lot of the processed foods in the Gumshoe family diet, I have been cooking and baking...and baking and cooking.

A lot.

As in, I've used my stand mixer 4 times this week which is more than I've used it in 6 years.
As in, I've also used my food processor as many times and the processor and I have the same 6 year history.  
As in, I've already gone through 2 bags of whole wheat flour and plan on using more.
As in, I used a rolling pin for something other than crushing up a plastic bag filled with Oreo cookies for a dessert.

And as we've been consuming less processed foods and more whole foods this week, we have all noticed differences:
  • LG is actually eating a lot more than before.  He is mowing through the healthier options that I am offering rather than picking through the packaged stuff I used to offer.
  • Gumshoe and I are actually eating a lot less.  It just takes less whole food to fill us up than it did processed food.
  • LG's digestive system is thanking me.  I'll leave it at that.  This is a big one, though, because we were having some major issues with this and it was really tough on LG and really tough on Gumshoe and I to watch him struggle.  That was the initial catalyst for our change and I couldn't be happier with how it's working out! 
  • We all seem to have more energy.
  • LG's feet got soooo big this week...


OK, not really.  But the rest of it is true.

So here are some of the recipes I've tried out.  Click on the caption for the link to the recipe.  Try them  yourself!  They all taste so much better than the store-bought items.  It's not tough to do, either.  I was always apprehensive about making my own food because I figured I'd put in all the effort and it would turn out crummy.  Not so!  And I am baking-challenged, so if I can do it, anyone can.


Homemade granola cereal:

Recipe

Whole wheat strawberry/blueberry muffins:

Recipe

Cheese crackers:

Recipe

Hummus:

Recipe

Whole wheat hamburger buns:

Recipe

Whole wheat tortillas:

Recipe

Homemade microwave popcorn:

Recipe

"Powerballs":

Recipe

Whole wheat pizza dough:

Recipe

Homemade granola bars:

Recipe

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

mrs. fuzz said...

Those look like some yummy recipes! There's nothing like putting good food in your body. It's amazing how our bodies just know as soon as we eat something if it's good or not.

HannahM said...

You go, mama! Good job! I adore my breadmaker....that's an awesome whole food...but easy add on too! Those cheese crackers look fun- might have to try those!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...